100 Oxytetracycline Tablets for Bacterial Infections Treatment


These very effective Oxytetracycline Tablets treat a wide variety of bacterial fish diseases. The tablets are supplied in quantities of 100 per bottle.

4 in stock


100 Oxytetracycline Tablets for Bacterial Infections Treatment

Oxytetracycline belongs to the tetracycline family of antibiotics, originally derived from a fungus. Antibiotics in this family work by interfering with bacteria’s ribosomes, preventing them from creating proteins. These antibiotics only work against gram-negative bacteria. However, gram-negative bacteria cause the vast majority of bacterial infections. Oxytetracycline is effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria that infect fish.

Since oxytetracycline can affect a wide variety of gram-negative bacteria, it’s effective against a variety of aquarium maladies. It can stop fin rot, a bacterial disease that attacks the fins of aquarium fish. Once the bacteria is killed, most fish will heal and regrow their fins in a clean aquarium. Oxytetracycline also treats dropsy or kidney bloat. Most bacterial infections in fish stem from poor aquarium hygiene, so you also need to clean the tank if you see these infections.

You should only use antibiotics when you absolutely need to. Some infections respond to old-fashioned remedies like adding rock salt to the water or increasing the temperature. Antibiotics like oxytetracycline may suppress the immune system. This side effect has been observed in goldfish. Additionally, beneficial bacteria in aquariums actually help the fish stay alive. Some bacteria break down ammonia from fish waste into less toxic compounds. Oxytetracycline and other antibiotics are not selective enough to leave these good bacteria alone. So antibiotics should be a weapon of last resort against bacteria.

Before using the tablets, remove any activated carbon or Zeolite from the tank, since these materials will absorb the medication.

Dosage: Each tablet treats 100 litres of aquarium water. Dissolve the tablet in a small amount of water prior to adding it to a hospital tank. Dose daily for 3 days. After 7 days, make a 25% water change. Treatment can be continued, if necessary. Don’t feed the fish during the treatment.

This is not for human consumption or for the treatment of fish intended for human consumption. Keep out of reach of children. For aquarium use only!

Additional information

Weight 0.2 kg